jillianduch
The fact that's I'm starting this blog is twinged with hypocrisy. I initially resisted joining MySpace (which I rarely log into) and Facebook (which I visit multiple times a day) partially because I didn't understand why grown-ups needed to join online networks seemingly designed to extend high-school social jockeying onto the Interweb. Really, don't we have enough things to worry about without pretending to be friends with hundred of people we haven't talked with in months? And who wants to be the person who only has 25 Facebook friends?

Now that I'm addicted to Facebook and begrudingly have joined Twitter and LinkedIn, I'll take the Fifth with those questions.

But I do think starting a blog can involve 1) an inflated notion of how much other people are interested in the mundane details of your life, and 2) distracting others from "quality" or "higher forms" of reading. Why spew personal rambling across digital space when people really should be reading The New York Times, Newsweek, classic literature and a few non-fiction tomes on foreign lands? And really, why spend all this time building a "virtual world" for yourself when there's a real world full of live people, dogs, walking trails, libraries and charities events just outside your door?

So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that if you decide to never read my blog again, I won't hold it against you.
Labels: , | edit post
0 Responses