jillianduch
... and faintly remember someone, somewhere telling me that only the Amish knew how to make the starter for Amish Friendship Bread. I definitely heard that along time ago. If someone had told me that more recently (you know, after I lost my trusting innocence), I would have seriously doubted that even such a mundane secret could remain a secret.

And, what do you know? A quick Google search revealed this recipe:

Ingredients:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110°F)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup warm milk (110°F)


Directions:
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water for about 10 minutes. Stir well.
2. In a 2 quart glass or plastic container, combine 1 cup sifted flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or the flour will get lumpy when you add the milk.
3. Slowly stir in warm milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Loosely cover the mixture with a lid or plastic wrap. The mixture will get bubbly. Consider this Day 1 of the cycle, or the day you receive the starter.


And now there's a plastic bag of fermenting "starter" on my kitchen counter, which will be made into a sweet bread in 10 days. Yes, I know it sounds kind of dorky, but it tastes good.

And it's called "friendship bread" because you're supposed to pass on the starter to a few friends when you're done. Let me know if you want some. If not, I'll just make a lot of bread ;)
1 Response
  1. kim Says:

    Did you know you have to add things to your starter at specific times during the 10 days? Check it out. You can also freeze extra starter and use it later.